The CSO recently released the statistics for most popular babies' names for 2009.
Key points released in the report are:
- Jack and Sophie were the most popular babies' names registered in 2009. Jack has been in the number one spot since 2007 but Sophie climbed from sixth place last year to number one spot this year.
- Ava was the the second most popular girls' name in 2009, which ran closely behind Sophie with only 5 more named this.
- The top 5 boys' names were: Jack, Sean, Daniel, Conor and James.
- The top 5 girls' names were: Sophie, Ava, Emma, Sarah, Grace, the first time Grace appearing the top five.
- There was six first-time entries into the top 100 for girls' names: Daisy, Emilia, Layla, Madison, Olivia and Hollie.
- There was three first-time entries into the top 100 for boys' names: Bobby, Shay and Szymon.
More information at http://www.cso.ie