Ingredients: For the dough:
• 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 1 /2 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
• 3/4 cups buttermillk
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 5 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
The combined tang of lemons and buttermilk give this tart a wonderful flavor.
1. Grease and flour a 9 or 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
2. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, and with
pastry cutter, 2 knives, or your fingers, cut or work the butter into the flour to the consistency of crumbs.
3. Whisk the yolk and water in a small bowl. Pour yolk mixture into flour and stir to blend. Gather the dough and press it together until it forms a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Remove dough from refrigerator 20 minutes before rolling. Lightly flour a pastry board or work surface. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick and 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to tart pan, fold excess dough in, and press against sides. Freeze crust until firm, about 30 minutes.
5. Line crust with foil and fill with ceramic pie weights. Bake at 350 degrees until crust is set, about 12 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until crust is golden, about 10 to 12 minutes more. Remove from oven and let crust cool.
6. To prepare filling, whisk all ingredients in a medium bowl .Pour into crust and bake until filling is set, about 30 minutes. Cool completely. Chill until cold. Serves 8.