Ingredients: • 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1 egg
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
• 1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water for glazing
• 1 1/2 quarts strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
• Whipped cream for topping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In the work bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cream, egg, vanilla, and zest and process until the dough comes together.
Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently to form a soft dough. Pat the dough into an 8-inch circle and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Cut the the dough into 8 wedges. Brush with the egg/water mixture. Bake on the center oven rack 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool scones on a wire rack 5 to 10 minutes. Top each scone slice with strawberries and whipped cream. Serves 8.