Ingredients: • 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 leek, washed and sliced
• 1 loaf day-old French bread, sliced and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
• 6 ounces grated Cheddar cheese
• 4 ounces grated Gouda cheese
• 5 large eggs
• 2 cups milk
• 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• Salt and ground black pepper
Generously grease a 2-quart ovenproof baking dish.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leek and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until soft. Remove from heat and set aside. Spread half of the bread in the bottom of the baking dish. Evenly distribute half the ham and half of each of the cheeses over the bread. Spread leeks over the top, then repeat layering with remaining bread, ham, and cheeses.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour over the bread mixture, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and bake until the top is golden brown and the pudding is set, about 40 minutes. Serves 6.