Traditional Cottage Pie - By Fionnuala Murphy, The Irish Post
Ingredients: You will need:
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 300 grams of carrots, topped, tailed and peeled
• 500 grams of lean minced beef
• 300 ml of beef stock
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 700 grams of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 3 tablespoons of horseradish sauce
• 4 tablespoons of milk
• 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley
How to cook it:
1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Fry the onion and carrots over
a low heat for 5 - 6 minutes.
2. Add the minced beef and cook for 10 minutes or until browned. Stir in the stock,
cover and reduce the heat.
3. Gently simmer for 15- 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
4. Preheat over to 190 degrees, gas mark 5.
5. Place the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, season
with salt, and simmer for 10 -15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
6. Drain, return to the pan and mash, beating in the horseradish, milk and chopped
7. Transfer the meat to a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes
over the meat to cover and use a fork to score the top.
8. Cook for 25-30 minutes until crisp, golden brown and piping hot.
9. Serve with spring cabbage, or green beans.