Toad in the Hole with Bacon - By with Fionnuala Murphy, The Irish Post
Ingredients: You will need:
For the toad:
• A pack of 8 good quality Irish sausages
• 8 rashers of unsmoked Irish streaky bacon
• 1 onion, sliced
• 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
For the hole:
• 100g of plain flour
• A pinch of salt
• 1 large egg
• 200ml of milk
• 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
For the gravy:
• 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 2 teaspoons of plain flour
• 2 teaspoons of wholegrain mustard
• 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
• 600 ml of chicken stock
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour
How to cook it:
1. Preheat oven to 220º C, gas mark 7.
2. Wrap the sausages in the bacon and place in a large roasting tin. Scatter
over the onion, drizzle over the oil and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile make the batter. Sieve the flour and the salt into a bowl. Make
a well in the centre, crack the egg and gradually beat in half of the milk for
two minutes, then stir in the rest of the milk and mustard.
4. Remove the roasting tin from the oven when the sausages are just turning
brown and pour the batter over.
5. Cook for a further 40 minutes until the batter has risen and it is golden
6. Meanwhile make the gravy. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for
five minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute then add the mustard,
Worcester sauce and chicken stock and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
Simmer for 15 minutes, checking the seasoning.
Serve the Toad in the Hole with the gravy poured over and mashed potatoes and