Fruity Lamb casserole - By with Fionnuala Murphy, Irish Post
Ingredients: You will need:
• 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
• 1 kilogram of boneless shoulder of lamb, cut into 2 cm chunks
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 large onion, finely sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed
• 200 grams of ready to eat apricots, halved
• 200 grams of ready to eat prunes, halved
• 700 ml of lamb stock
• 6 tomatoes, chopped
• Juice and grated rind of one lemon
• 4 tablespoons of chopped, fresh coriander
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: Two hours
How to cook it:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, gas mark four.
2. Combine the spices and then rub into the lamb.
3. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and fry the lamb pieces for
3 minutes, stirring, until they are beginning to brown.
4. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook for two minutes until they start to
5. Stir in the prunes and apricots, hot lamb stock and tomatoes and bring to
6. Cover, and transfer to the oven for one and a half to two hours until the
meat is tender.
7. Stir the lemon rind and juice into the lamb, then add the coriander.
8. Serve piled high on top of some rice boiled with a little turmeric for colour.