How to make it:
1. Place all the marinade ingredients in a shallow bowl, adding a little salt. Add the chicken breasts and turn them to coat thoroughly.
2. Cover with cling film and leave for 1 hour, turning them halfway through.
3. Cut the fennel lengthways into 5 millimetre thick slices. Blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes. Refresh and drain.
4. Cut the carrots into 5 millimetre diagonal slices. Score the surface and blanch for 3 minutes, refresh and drain. Lightly brush the fennel and the carrots with oil.
5. Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Add the fennel and griddle for 2 minutes, then add the carrots and griddle for a further 3 minutes. Turn over and repeat on the other side.. Season. Place on a plate and keep hot.
6. Put the chicken pieces in the hot griddle pan, skin side down. Once they are
marked, lower the heat and give them a quarter turn to give a lattice pattern. Turn them over and repeat the process. Cook for around 12-15 minutes in total.
7. Arrange the fennel slices on plates and top with the chicken breasts. Place the carrots alongside. Top with a know of butter and the fennel seeds.