•1lb of plain wholemeal flour
• 8oz of plain flour
• A half level teaspoon of salt
• A quarter level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
• 4oz of margarine
• 3oz of granulated sugar
• 2 eggs, size three, beaten
• 5 fluid ozs of natural yoghurt
• A half pint of milk
• 2 x 1 lb loaf tins, greased and bottom lined
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees centigrade.
2. Sift together the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
3. Cut the margarine into cubes and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
4. Stir in the sugar. Add the beaten eggs. Blend together the yoghurt and milk and add to the flour mixture to form a very soft dough.
5. Cover and leave for 10 minutes, for the wholemeal flour to absorb the liquid.
6. Divide the dough into two. Lightly knead on a floured surface and place in the tins. The dough will be very soft to handle.
7. Bake just above the centre of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until, when taken out of the tine, the base of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with the fingers.
8. Allow to cool on a wire rack.