• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 3 1/2 cups/750 g mixed wild mushrooms, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
• 4 cups/1 L homemade chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
• 2 cups/500 ml half and half
• Salt and Freshly ground pepper to taste
•Crème frâiche for serving
• Minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for sprinkling
• Minced fresh chives for sprinkling
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft but not browned. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the thyme.
2. Add the stock and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are very tender. Remove from heat and let the soup cool for 10 to15 minutes.
3. Working in batches, transfer to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return the purée to the saucepan over medium heat and stir in the half and half. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To serve, ladle the soup into shallow bowls and swirl 1 tablespoon crème frâiche into each serving. Sprinkle with the parsley and chives. Serves 8