3 cups/750 ml homemade chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-in/1 cm pieces
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 small leeks, white part only, washed and sliced
1 small onion, chopped
4 large white mushrooms, diced
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup/125 ml half-and-half
1 cup/130 g cooked chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup/130 g cooked ham, diced
1 cup/130 g fresh or frozen peas
1 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Pinch of dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F/190 C°. Butter a 9-in./23 cm deep-dish pie pan or
six 1 cup/250 ml individual casserole dishes or ramekins.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock or broth, celery, and
potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat and then simmer for about 8 minutes, or until
the potatoes are slightly tender. Add the carrots and cook for about 10 minute
longer, or until all the vegetables are tender. Drain and reserve the broth;
reserve the vegetables.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the leeks,
onion, and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft
but not browned.
4. Stir in the flour, and then whisk in 1 cup/250 ml reserved stock and the half
and half. Cook, whisking constantly, for about 4 minutes, or until the sauce
5. Stir in the reserved vegetables, chicken, ham, peas, parsley, and thyme.
Season with salt and pepper and, if too thick, add the remaining reserved stock.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish(s).
6. Dust a work surface with flour. Roll out the puff pastry and cut to fit the
dishes and brush the pastry with egg wash. Put the dish(s) on a baking sheet and
cut a few slits in each crust to release the steam. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or
until the pastry is puffed and golden.
7. Remove the pie(s) from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack