Ingredients: 450g/1lb mascarpone cheese, softened
350g/12oz unsalted butter, softened
450g/1lb confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3/4 tsp. oak-smoked sea salt (optional)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp crème de cassis
1 tbsp black currant conserve (optional)
1.In a large bowl, beat the mascarpone and butter with the mixer on medium speed
until very smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
2. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, crème de cassis, optional sea salt and
black currant conserve and beat on medium high until blended and fluffy, about 2
3. Cover the frosting and set aside at room temperature until ready to frost
4. Dab a bit of icing on the cake plate. Carefully set the bottom layer of cake
(the piece with black currant conserve spread on top) down on the frosting.
Sandwich second layer on top.
5. Using a metal spatula, evenly spread a thin layer (about 1/3 cup) of frosting
over the entire cake to seal in any crumbs and fill in any gaps between layers.
Refrigerate until the frosting is cold and firm, about 20 minutes. Spread the
entire cake with the remaining frosting.
6. Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days. This cake is best
served slightly chilled or at room temperature.