Jamestown

The village of Jamestown owes it's origin to the plantation of Leitrim in 1622. Part of the original wall can still be seen, and until a few years ago the main road went under one of the surviving arches. There is a small graveyard on the Carrick On Shannon side of the arch, where there was once a Franciscan monastery. An important synod of bishops was held here in 1650, during the Cromwellian conquest.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009