At the northern end of County Kildare, is the village of Maynooth beside the Royal Canal. Saint Patrick's College is the centre for the training of Catholic diocesan clergy in Ireland, and also a constituent college of the National University. It was established in 1795 on the site of an earlier college by the Earl of Kildare in the 16th century, but soon suppressed by Henry VIII. Beside the main gateway of the college are the remains of Maynooth Castle, ancient seat of the Fitzgeralds. The oldest part is the keep, dating probably from the 13th century, there is also a fine gatetower. Carton House at the east end of the town was the residence of the dukes of Leinster. The house is an imposing mansion in classic style designed by Richard Castle in 1740.

 Activities in Maynooth

Equestrian Centres
Kilmacredock Riding School
Copperalley Equestrian Centre
Acorn Equestrian Centre


 © 2009