Castletown

This Georgian Village was built around a triangular fair green. In 1182 Hugh de Lacy built a castle here for Robert de Bigarz, and it became a centre of an important Norman borough. Only fragments of the castle now remain. South of the village in Churchtown are the ruins of a medieval church. The mill on the Nore is destined for conversion into the clubhouse for the Mountrath Golf Club. Castletown preforms well every year in the Tidy Towns competition.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009