Portlaoise is a prosperous commercial centre, principal town and administrative centre of the county. Until independence in 1922, it was known as Maryborough. In the 1556 Act of Parliament, which claimed Leix and Offaly for the crown, the Fort Protector (as it was known) was named Mary Burgh. A settlement grew in and around the fort. From that period of the fort, the visible remains are parts of the walls, a circular tower, possibly the old Saint Peter's Church, the street pattern in the centre and a network of tunnels. The present town was laid out in the eighteenth-century, and the principal buildings date from then or later.

 Activities in Portlaoise

Bike Rental
Bicycle Hire M Kavanagh

Department Stores
Portlaoise Rod And Gun Tackle Shop

Equestrian Centres
Portlaoise Equestrian Centre Limited

Game Fishing
Angling In County Laois

Golf Courses
Golfing In County Laois
Heath Portlaoise Golf Club

Horse Drawn Caravans
Kilvahan Horse Drawn Caravans

Walking Routes Not Guided
Walking The Slieve Bloom Way
Walking In County Laois


 © IrishAbroad.com 2009