Stradbally

Stradbally was originally a community associated with the monastery, Mon au Bealing founded in the 6th century by Saint Colman Mac Laoighse. The Normans dominated in the 13th century. The Franciscans came in 1447, but the village in 1550 was still a small cluster of cottages. Its present form was established by 1740, slowly extending along the Maryborough-Carlow road and around the square towards Stradbally Hall, the home of the Cosby family under whose patronage and influence the village developed. The annual Stradbally Steam Rally organised by the Irish Steam Preservation Society at the beginning of August on the bank-holiday weekend is justly famous. There is also a Steam Museum opposite the 1870s labourers cottages.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009