Timahoe takes its name from teach mo - Chua Mochua's House. Saint Mochua established a monastery here in the seventh-century. Burned in 1142, it was re-founded by the O'Mores. The twelfth-century Round Tower with its impressively decorated romanesque doorway is all that remains of the original monastic foundation. It came under the control of the Normans (Ballinclough motte and bailey nearby was built by Hugh de Lacy). There was a monastic community here as late as 1650. East of the village is the ruined little fifteenth-century church of Fossy.


 © IrishAbroad.com 2009