Castlebellingham

Largely the construction of the Bellingham family descendants of the a captain in Cromwell's army who received a grant of the confiscated lands of the Gernons of Gernonstown in the 1650's. The castle was situated on the site of the present Bellingham Castle Hotel, a building of early 18th century construction, formerly the home of the Bellinghams and substantially remodelled at the end of that century. Later remodelling include the towers turrets and entrance gateway. The river Dee can be accessed fromthe grounds of the hotel. The village includes a group of Widow's Almhouses, cottages and other dwelling houses constructed by the Bellingham family probably to the design of William Vitruvius Morrison. The roadside crucifix was carved from Royal Oak.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009