Collon

Situated south of Ardee on the road to Dublin via Slane, Collon is now the remains of a manorial village of the Foster family. Originally the home of chief baron Foster who settles his demense here in the 1750's, his son John who succeeded him was the celebrated speaker of the Irish house of Commons until its closure under the act of Union in 1801. The village architecture is of the late 18th century and consists of two rows of two storey estate houses with a grassy market place in the upper end. On the north-eastern corner of the crossroads stands Collon House built c1740 by the chief baron Anthony Foster with a later 18th century addition. The Church of Ireland parish church at the lower end was built in 1810 to a design by Daniel Augustine Beaufort.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009