Dromiskin

3km north of Castlebellingham, this was an important ecclesiastical centre from the time of Saint Patrick. It was residence of the Archbishops of Armagh during the 14th century, one of whom Milo Sweetman died here in 1380. The early monastic foundation was frequently plundered by the Danes of Annagassan and was eventually abandoned, the monks taking refuge in Saint Mochta's of Louth. The remains of a round tower still survive from this period, standing in the churchyard of the Church of Ireland Parish Church, the site of the earlier monastery.There are also the remains of a ringed-cross in the Celtic style and a carved spiral pillar of ninth/tenth century, part of the old church doorway. 1.6km west of the village stands a 15th century tower house.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009