Grange

Situated in Cooley north off the main road to Greenore is the small village of Grange, formerly the possession of the Cistercian abbey of Newry. The latter being the "Irish Quarter" the English lordship in the 15th century confiscated the property and granted it to the Meryman family until the Cromwellian confiscations of the 17th century. Probably a church site from the earlier period, the present Roman catholic church built in 1750 continues this tradition. It is now the oldest of its kind in CountyLouth and is a beautiful church of wimple "penal days" design recently refurbished.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009