Louth

13km west of Dundalk, this village has now only vestigal remains of its former status as a medieval civitates or city, seat of a bishop of Louth and the 12th century O Carroll kings of Oirghialla. Originally the site of a shrine to the Celtic god Lugh, it was brought over to Christianity by Saint Mochta disciple of Saint Patrick who appointed him bishop of Louth and who established a monastery here. His death is recorded in 535. Burned and plundered frequently by the Danes from 829-968 it was occupiedwith the rest of County Louth by Donnchadh O Carroll king of Oirghialla who founded the monastery of Saint Marys for Austin Canons here in 1148, the remains of which can be viewed inside the graveyard.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009