13km west of Dundalk, this village has now only vestigal remains of its former status as a medieval civitates or city, seat of a bishop of Louth and the 12th century O Carroll kings of Oirghialla. Originally the site of a shrine to the Celtic god Lugh, it was brought over to Christianity by Saint Mochta disciple of Saint Patrick who appointed him bishop of Louth and who established a monastery here. His death is recorded in 535. Burned and plundered frequently by the Danes from 829-968 it was occupiedwith the rest of County Louth by Donnchadh O Carroll king of Oirghialla who founded the monastery of Saint Marys for Austin Canons here in 1148, the remains of which can be viewed inside the graveyard.

 Activities in Louth

Equestrian Centres
Killanny Equestrian Centre

Golf Courses
Golfing In County Louth

Sea Fishing
Angling In County Louth

Walking Routes Not Guided
Walking In County Louth

Walking Tours Guided
Cadgers Rambling Holiday Breaks
County Louth Historical Tours


 © IrishAbroad.com 2009