Duleek is situated on the quiet valley of the Nanny River which is crossed by a narrow bridge on the outskirts of the village. Saint Patrick founded a church here in the fifth century but nothing now remains. In later centuries the town was frequentlyraided by Norsemen who were based in Drogheda, but somehow managed to survive and indeed at times, flourished. A 9th century high cross has scenes of the crucifixion and Holy Family. One of the O Kelly family founded an abbey here around the 12th century dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. In 1182, Hughde Lacy, to whom the district fell, founded Saint Mary's Augustinian Priory. Today, many interesting ruins remain in the area.

 Activities in Duleek

Equestrian Centres
Bellewstown Stables


 © IrishAbroad.com 2009