Daingean

During the plantation of Offaly, during the reign of Mary and Philip, the centre of these planted lands became Philipstown, the county town of the king's new county in Ireland. It was the centre of power for O Connor Faly, and the modern Irish name for the town comes from the Irish for Fortress. A new fortress called Fort Governor, and its successor Fort Castle were erected. As Offaly enlarged, Philipstown was too far away from places in the south such as Birr, and resisted all efforts to make Tullamore the county town until 1834. It is situated on the Grand Canal.

 Activities in Daingean

Golf Courses
Castle Barna Golf Club

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009