Killeigh is a very pleasant village of historical importance situated on the Tullamore-Mountmellick road. This 6th century foundation was the chief church of east Offaly for almost a thousand years and the earthworks now remaining do no justice to a onceroyal centre. In 1433 all the learned and artistic people of Ireland gathered together at a festival given by Margaret O' Carroll of Offaly. The Franciscan friary was looted by Lord Deputy Grey, who stole the organ and windows from the church in the 530's. The cemetery adjoining the church of Ireland church off the village green commemorates old Offaly families, including the O' Connors, O' Dunnes, O' Molloys and O' Dempseys.


 © 2009