Portarlington

The town straddles the county boundary with Laois, which is defined by the River Barrow. It is on the main Dublin-Cork rail line. Existing industries include cosmetics and jewellery, flour milling, engineering and peat production Portarlington was founded in 1666 in a bend of the Barrow River by Sir Henry Bennett, Lord Arlington. After the Jacobite wars, the lands were given to General Rouvigney, Earl of Galway who established a thriving colony of French Huguenots in the town: separate chapels and schools were built for the English and French. Along with education, the town became a centre for silversmiths and banking. The town has Georgian, Huguenot and Victorian architecture of exceptional quality. An annual French Festival is held in the town.

 Activities in Portarlington

Department Stores
Alo Donegan And Sons Tackle Shop

Equestrian Centres
Barrowside Equestrian Centre

Golf Courses
Portarlington Golf Club

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009