Ballymore

Fairs and markets were held in the village of Ballymore since the Middle Ages. The Celts herded cattle here and held ritual assemblies on nearby Uisneach which was an ancient Druidic sanctuary and assembly place for Maytime festival. Royal residence in 2nd century AD The Catstone marks the meeting point of the five provinces of ancient Ireland. The Norman invaders erected a motte and bailet and administered the county from here. Around the village are the remains of castles, convents and monasteries. In 1691 the fort was the site of a major battle between the Jacobite and Williamite armies.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009