Tyrrellspass

Tyrrellspass was a Tidy Town winner and the European Architectural Heritage Award winner. This area was in the barony of Fartullagh and the Anglo Norman family of Tyrrell ruled over it until Cromwellian times. Tyrrellspass gets its name from a Captain Richard Tyrrell who lead a small Irish force and beat a large army of Queen Elizabeth at a pass north of the village in 1597. A castle of the Tyrrell's still stands at the west end of the village. Built in the 15th century, it now houses a restaurant and antique shop. The village was laid out as a crescent by the Countess of Belvedere around a central green in the late 18th century.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009