Ballywalter

Located 8km along the coast from Millisle is Ballywalter, a busy port in the early 17th century, and the harbour still dominates the village, giving it character and vitality. Nearby is Ballywalter Park which surrounds a group of 18th century farm buildings including one of Ulsters finest Victorian houses. Just south of the harbour is the Long Strand, a wide stretch of shore giving safe bathing and an ideal base for watersports. Kiddies play facilities are provided along with tennis courts for the more active. Inland ruins of Temple Finn (White Church) and to the south, Balligan Church dating back to 1704. 'Baile Bhaltair', this translated into English means 'Walters Homestead'. Population, census figures for 1991 are 1,162.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009