Askeaton

On the River Deel, Askeaton is a town of growing importance in the industrial field. However, it was also of great importance during Geraldine times. Desmond Castle dominates the town. The tower rising from Deel island, the fine windows and fireplace, and to the west of the tower, a great banqueting hall are all from the 15th century. The Franciscan friary built in 1389 by probably Gearoid Iarla, was plundered and burnt in 1579 by Sir John Marbie. Some friars were also massacred. Saint Marys Church is a 13th century building, who's ruins are the Protestant Church. Nearby is the grave of Aubrey de Vere, famous poet.

 Activities in Askeaton

Game Fishing
River Deel Shannon

Walking Routes Not Guided
Aughinish Alumina Nature Trail

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009