Fiddown

One of the most beautiful vistas on any river in Ireland illuminates Fiddown on the romantic Suir. It was once another link in the long chain of sites which followed to such a comprehensive degree the transfer from Paganism to Christianity in Ireland. The 6th century monastery where the old churchyard is seen, was founded by the saintly Mo Medog, one of the most experienced of the early missionaries, a veteran of eveangelisation in Scotland and France. The only relic of his day is the stone font. Theother ancient church site, called Killmodalla, later changed in an obvious family compliment to Kildatun, was cruelly dismembered to build stables on the Bessborough Estate, as recently as 1830.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009