Johnstown is located 3.2km from Urlingford. The village was founded by John Hely of Foulkstown in 1700. The original settlement was probably around the ruins of a fifteenth century Purcell Castle and an ancient church in Foulkstown Demesne, 3.2km away. Johnstown was a very popular resort in the eighteenth century because of the then fashionable attraction of Ballyspellan spa nearby, Dean Swift and his friend Dr Sherrridan were frequent visitors. In nearby, Rathosheen townland is the Ring Fort, known traditionally as the burial place of Oisin, legendary hero of the Fianna, a pre chrisitian group of Celtic warriors. There is a beautifully carved baptismal font and crusification panel in the Romans Catholic church in Johnstown.


 © 2009