Ahascragh is a small village with a population of 250 located in East Galway. The village gets it's name from the Irish Ath H'oiseir (Ford of Oscar) which in turn get's it's name from the Ford of the Sandy Ridges which forms part of the Esker Reada that runs accross Ireland. Saint Cuan is the Patron saint of the village. His death is recorded in the Annals of the Four Masters in 788 A.D. Also in the Annals of the Four Masters there is reference to the battle of Ahascragh in 1307 between the English forces and the O'Kelly Chieftains. Nowadays the village can be described as "a typical bit of old Ireland, with many characteristics of the past".

 Activities in Ahascragh

Equestrian Centres
Dalys Grove Cross Country


 © IrishAbroad.com 2009