Clifden

Nestling at the head of Clifden Bay between mountains and the sea is the capital of Connemara. A small market town it was founded by John D'Arcy in 1812 and grew rapidly in the first half of the nineteenth century. John DArcy's own home was Clifden Castle a gothic structure now in ruins situated on the Sky Road overlooking the sea. A monument stands to the west of the town on the hill. A beauriful view of the town and the two church spires can be has from this point.

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009