Roscommon

The county town, Roscommon gets its name from Ros, meaning a wooded or pleasant height, and Coman, from the famous Irish saint and bishop. It was famous in early Christian days as the seat of Abbot Coman, and had close ties with Clonmacnoise and Saint Ciaran. The Dominican priory was founded in 1253, by Felim O Connor, King of Connaught and is now in ruins. Roscommon Castle to the north of the town was built in 1269 by the Normans, but four years later was captured by the Irish and razed to the ground. It was rebuilt in 1280. In the main street is the beautifully renovated Bank of Ireland, once the courthouse and served as a catholic church until 1903. The Sacred Heart Church is worth a visit, and contains a replica of the Cross of Cong.

 Activities in Roscommon

Angling Schools And Seminars
Lough Fergus

Bike Rental
Bicycle Hire Buckleys Cycles Roscommon

Equestrian Centres
Munsboro Equestrian Centre

Game Fishing
Hind River
Smaghraan River
Lough Creevin

Golf Courses
Roscommon Golf Club

 


 
 
 
 © IrishAbroad.com 2009