This Irish Genealogy site offers the Irish descendant (from New York, Canada, UK, Australia...) the chance to trace their Irish family tree and search for their surname origins and the records of their Irish ancestor's birth, marriage or death.
Kyle J. Betit is a professional genealogist, lecturer and author residing
in Salt Lake City, Utah. Kyle specializes in Irish and immigration research.
Kyle Betit is Research Director of ProGenealogists, Inc., in Salt Lake City
and the author of the Irish Genealogy Pages at
Dublin City Library & Archive
A great new facility is available in Dublin for people researching
Dublin families, and families from throughout Ireland. It’s the
renovated Dublin City Library & Archive facility at 138-144 Pearse
Street, Dublin 2. I recently (August 2006) visited there to look at the
database of the Dublin parish registers that have been indexed by the
Dublin Heritage Group. I was looking for a marriage of a couple in 1838
who belonged to the Church of Ireland, and I found it! Because there
were many Church of Ireland parishes in Dublin, this saved me time in
figuring out where they were married. All marriages in the database can
be searched at one time (the same for births of deaths). You can find
lists online of the Roman Catholic and Church of Ireland parishes that
have been indexed on this web site:
. Selected data from the databases is now available online at
http://www.dublinheritage.ie/ but the full data for any entry must
be accessed at the Dublin City Library & Archive.
Other records available for Dublin City research include:
- Dublin City Freedom Rolls, 1468-1918 (lists of the freemen of Dublin)
- Dublin Voters’ Registration Books, 1937-2002
- Records of the Dublin City Assembly and the Dublin City Council
- Cemetery records for Mount Jerome Cemetery, 1836-1972, and Deansgrange
- Church of Ireland parish registers for Dublin parishes
- Dublin directories from 1751 to present.
- Telephone directories from 1915 to present.
- Dublin newspapers
Records for the whole of Ireland held at this repository include:
- Microfilm copies of Irish civil registration indexes (births,
marriages, deaths) filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah
- Griffith’s Primary Valuation for the 32 counties, 1847-1864
- Tithe Applotment Books for the 32 counties, 1828-1832
- Various published books useful for Irish genealogy
- Directories covering the whole country
- National newspapers
(Many more sources for all of Ireland are held at other Dublin
repositories such as the National Library of Ireland and the National
Archives of Ireland.)